Coming via a December update once iOS 16.2 goes public is Custom Accessibility Mode. This new feature, according to 9to5Mac, will provide a more streamlined iOS and iPadOS experience for users who may benefit from a simpler interface. Custom Accessibility Mode will therefore be a Springboard replacement, which is the app icon Home Screen interface that iPhone users have used since the original iPhoneOS 1.0 launch. Upon launch, users will be able to enable Custom Accessibility Mode via Settings → Accessibility.
The Custom Accessibility Mode splash screen, which 9to5Mac unsurprisingly was able to unearth, features three main points:
- Streamline Home Screen and apps
- Large text and controls
- Customizable to accommodate different needs
In a nutshell, it looks like Custom Accessibility Mode will be a simplified version of the iOS interface for users who might benefit from such an experience. Similar to how services like GrandPad make using an Android tablet dead-simple for older users, Custom Accessibility Mode aims to do that, but on iOS. Head over to 9to5Mac to see more pictures of it in action.
Subscribe to Cellular on YouTube for more
5G support for India
iOS 16.2 finally enables 5G support for iPhone users in India. Support will officially launch once iOS 16.2 goes public next month, but beta users in India have confirmed that 5G support is now active while using the 16.2 beta.
Freeform settings panel
The Freeform app that Apple debuted back at WWDC was made available in the initial iOS 16.2 beta. In the second beta, Apple added a settings panel for Freeform that includes alignment guide preferences, as well as software acknowledgements.
‘Everyone’ AirDrop receiving setting for just 10 minutes in China
This is a China-only feature that disables the ability to set AirDrop receiving to Everyone indefinitely. One reason for this change may be to stave off unwanted spam via unsolicited AirDrop sessions.
The Music app gets a couple of new changes in iOS 16.2 beta 2:
- Animated album artwork features transparent audio details and Play/Shuffle buttons.
- Transport controls now feature same button animations as Lock Screen Live Activity.
- More status bar icons appear next to Dynamic Island
- Live Activities – More Frequent Updates
- Health – Medications Lock Screen widgets
- Long-press needed to disable Focus on Lock Screen
- Show Photo in Library option when using photo wallpaper
- Sleep Mode alarm doesn’t appear on top of Lock Screen album art